Lance Bates, P.E., CFM - Public Works Director
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday, 7:00 am - 5:30 pm
Phone: (208) 529-1290
Fax: (208) 529-1295
Office Address (MAP)
The Public Works Department is responsible for providing various services for Bonneville County including:
• Transportation system design and safety
• Design, construction and maintenance of County roads and bridges
• Solid waste management
• Street addressing
• Subdivision plat and improvement review/inspection
Use the Quick Links above or the menu on the left side of the page for additional information on the services provided and for access to permit applications and fee schedules.
Subdivision Plat Review Process
All subdivision and condominium plats recorded in Bonneville County must first be reviewed by the County Surveyor as per Idaho Code Section 50-1305. This includes plats in the cities of Ammon, Idaho Falls, Iona, Irwin, Swan Valley and Ucon. The Public Works Department also reviews improvement drawings and development agreements for developments in the unincorporated areas of Bonneville County.
Following is the process for a subdivision/condominium plat review:
1. Prior to submitting a plat for evaluation, review city and State plat requirements and the County Subdivision Plat Checklist.
2. Submit one paper copy and a CAD file (AutoCad 2014 or prior format) of the plat with the required review fees (see County Subdivision Fees or City Subdivision Fees). For County subdivisions with proposed improvements, one set of the improvement drawings and a development agreement should be submitted with review fees. A plat review will not begin until all fees are paid.
3. The review of a subdivision plat in Idaho Falls will not begin until the city surveyor has given his approval.
4. County policy allows the county surveyor up to 30 days for the initial review the plat and improvement drawings and to return comments to the developer and his consultant.
5. After changes have been completed, a digital copy (pdf) of the revised plat and improvement drawings will be provided to the county surveyor. If the plat and improvement drawings are not correct after 3 reviews, additional review fees will be charged ($232.00 base fee plus hourly rate).
6. Once the plat for a city subdivision is approved, it will be signed by the county surveyor.
7. Once the plat, improvement drawings and development agreement for a county subdivision have been approved but prior to Board of County Commissioners' acceptance, all required inspection fees must be paid to the Public Works Department.
8. The approved county subdivision plat will be scheduled with the Board of County Commissioners by the Public Works Department. All signed plat mylars, signed improvement drawings, signed development agreement and other required documents must be submitted to the Public Works Department at least seven (7) days prior to the scheduled meeting with the Board of Commissioners (i.e. by the Thursday before a scheduled Wednesday meeting).
1. A new rural address request is initiated through the Bonneville County Planning and Zoning Department when a building permit is applied for. The Planning and Zoning Department submits a “New Rural Address Request Form” to the Public Works Department and provides the applicant with a stake to be placed on the property where the new driveway is to be located.
2. A Public Works representative then makes the necessary distance measurements to the driveway stake and generates the correct sequential address number.
3. The Public Works Department then returns the completed “New Rural Address Request Form” to the Planning and Zoning Department which sends a copy of the new address to the applicant and to the Bonneville County Data Processing Department for use by other County departments.
4. If an address requested is within the boundaries of a city, the individual would need to contact that city’s Planning and Zoning Department to place the request.